Our department accomplished core points in 2018 As we all know expired medications are a big loss for hospitals. This department is working on the minimization of the number of expired medications we could minimize by 95%. Even though it is very challenging and difficult to minimize the number of expired items in this huge hospital we succeeded by 96%!
As it is known, Ethiopia imports 90% of medications and medical supplies from abroad, so, because of to shortages of foreign currency we faced a repeated shortage of essential medications. We could save our hospital money by having three months of back-up supplies. We could implement a clear and transparent stock control system with the help of a bin card system in addition to the computer system.
As it is known, in 2016 we shared(presented) our hospital working system experience at the workshop of “Traceability of Medicine” (which is working on the detection of genuine and fake medications through barcode on each medication). All participants at the Hilton Hotel, including 13 NGO’s, 15 country representatives, EFMHACA and all higher health ministers created a steering committee for this international and new system development with represented from all Ethiopian private hospitals. This opportunity is essential for our hospital to create a positive image and promote our hospital. This big project is supported by 13 NGO’s including USAID, UNFPA, WHO, UNICEF…. and 15 countries such as England, the US, Korea, and Turkey, through their representatives. We will have a meeting every two months and additional supportive work for the development of this system.
Related to this, or as we are a member of the Gs1 global standard project and a representative of all private hospitals, we did a lot of work in 2018 on the traceability of medications. One of the challenges was the international conference of Gs1 which was held in Sheraton, Addis, for three days. 54 countries including Korea participated in the conference and MCM was one of the steering committee members so we had a chance to display our banners, videos, magazines and different promotion materials to all participants. This was an excellent opportunity to promote our hospital and also our accomplishments.
We created a good team working spirit among our department staff, which is very important in giving excellent service to our patients.
Central Sterilization and Supply room is routinely dealing with
- Sterilization of medical supplies under autoclave, plasma and EO (ETHYLE OXIDE)
- Providing admission kit daily for department
- Preparing local and abroad purchase requests
- Good receiving for local and abroad
- Providing uniforms and gowns for the staff
- Issue of monthly or emergency requests
- Inpatient and outpatient item selling
- Folding gauze for AKU, DENTAL, NICU, Angio, LD1~2
- Bin card checking (inventory) Daily 2 time inventory is done on the admission kit supplies
- Early morning before starting to provide kit
- Afternoon after finishing providing kitN.B:- in correct no of inventory is reported to the CSR Head /Matron office
- Local and Abroad purchase Requests
- Local purchase requests are done as a monthly basis as of the demand of supplies
- Abroad Requests are done on 6 month basis except emergence Requests
- Good receiving means the process to receive the requested items /supplies
- Check item and quantity with the receiving paper
- Make sure the quality of the material is similar with the approved sample
- Make receiving with the received quantity (sometimes receiving quantity is
- Less or more than the request)
- Providing new /excising code for the items
- Adjust OCS balance and price
- Making bin card –adjustment
- Inform to the units for request
- Issue :- is done after the units brought the request mostly on the beginning of the month after the request is approved by the department head, the approved quantity is issued to the unit.N.B;- if the approved quantity is too much and if quantity is not enough on CSR request is again conform with CSR head.
- Providing admission kit
- Provided the admission kit after bin card is checked
- Check the amount of admission kit request by the units
- Conform (done)by the nurses after provided by CSR
- Providing uniforms and gowns
- Uniforms are provided after brought the approved paper from nurse office.
- Uniforms and other hospital property has to be returned during clearance time.
- Selling items
- Inpatient and outpatient selling items are not returnable
- Measuring the selling items
- Sterilization time schedule
|s. no||Time of collecting instrument to CSR||Time||under||package||Time of picking items from CSR|
|1||8:30am-9:45am or 1pm-2:45pm||10am-12pm||Autoclave||Drum or packing drape||1pm-4:30pm|
|2||8:30am-9:45am or 1pm:2:45pm||10am-11:10am||Plasma||Plasma packing paper||After 1:10|
|3||1-4PM||5PM||E.O Gas||E.O Packing paper||Next morning|
- CSR item and supply cannot take without request
- Outpatient sell item can’t be returned or changed
- Non functional medical supplies has to be returned to CSR
- Any missing item has to be reported to Nurse office
- Brocken/discolored/non-functional new receiving has to be returned to the purchaser for change (both local &abroad requests)
- If physical quantity and invoices is not same can’t make good receiving
- Purchasers has to stay and count with CSR Staff when they brought new items if not count together purchaser has to accept CSR count
- In proper Labeling ,packing and torn is not accept for sterilization
MCM established NICU in 2007, has a total bed capacity of 11 patients. It has five incubators, two old and three new, bought in 2018.
It also has three mechanical ventilators, two old, and one new bought In 2018. The NICU also has two new CPAP machines urchased in 2018. The total number of admissions in the NICU in 2018 was 303 patients(292 were discharged and 11 were in the ward at the end of 2018) The fatality number was -9 out of 292 patients (3%).
For 2018, the Nutrition Department envisioned and achieved its goals to improve the quality of hospital meals and to increase patient satisfaction with its service. The department has shown improvement in core areas like customer service, sanitation, expenditure reduction, and revenue increases.
Providing clinical nutrition services was also among the goals of the past year. A systematic analysis of patient diet plans helped to improve their diet and nutrition. Starting last year, a new hospital system was introduced in which patients were able to personalize their meals, rather than having all patients share the same meal. The new system accompanied by a delivery plan helped to increase the speed of delivery.
The Education Department has been strengthening since December 2013. The department has two staff. The department closely works in collaboration with Myungsung Medical College. Education and Training are important for health service and it is a very important asset for the hospital because it equips the professionals with updated knowledge so that it helps in improving the quality of the hospital. So the education department mainly works on staff development like in-service trainings, grand rounds, intern student training, and other different training to equip the staff and to increase the quality of the hospital.